There are about a billion links for mums for what to pack in the hospital bags, from the sensibly succinct to the outrageously overblown. But dads will need a bag too, especially if you’re going to be at the hospital for a drawn out induction process as I am. Note that until she goes into labour, chances are you won’t be able to stay the night, but you’ll still need supplies.
- Toiletries – You’ll want to freshen up. Don’t forget shower gel and shampoo, it’s not provided
- Towel – In case you want a shower during a longer stay, again not provided
- Phone, charger and headphones
- Comfortable overnight clothes
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Layers – It’ll be hot on the ward, but if you need to pop out for air or supplies, it’ll feel cold.
- Change of clothes for coming home
- Entertainment, whether book, iPad or what-have-you
- Pillow – Seriously the chairs for partners are really uncomfortable and hospital pillows are tissue thin
- Coffee – Hospital tea is fine, hospital coffee is an abomination
- Snacks – The hospital shop will be expensive, and food options are only for mum. None for you!
Obviously this list isn’t exhaustive. But after three days in hospital so far, that’s what’s been of use to me or what I had to go back for!